Sunday, July 24, 2016

The San Bernardino Flying Squirrels

I recently did a blog post about all the feathered and furry critters that have visited my bird feeders up here in Lake Arrowhead.   Last night I discovered that I have also been feeding the elusive and rare San Bernardino Flying Squirrel!  One night last year I was sitting out on my deck talking to a friend and something flew over my head.   I turned to look in the direction it was flying and saw a cute squirrel like critter in the tree looking at me with big eyes.   Now I wasn't entirely sober so I was confused- did this squirrel just fly?   I ended up half convincing myself that a bat just flew over my head at the same time a squirrel just happened to be hanging out in the tree.

Well I can now confirm that it WAS a flying squirrel and not only that - there are two of them!   And they have been eating from my bird feeders late at night unbeknownst to me.

Apparently the San Bernardino Flying Squirrels are a rare subspecies of flying squirrels: http://www.sbsun.com/environment-and-nature/20150601/forest-officials-seek-publics-help-to-find-elusive-squirrel

I managed to get some photos but they're not great as I didn't want to get too close and scare them away.

flying squirrel,san bernardino flying squirrel, lake arrowhead
Flying Squirrel at my bird feeder.   
flying squirrels, lake arrowhead, san bernardino flying squirrel
Hanging upside down snacking on my fancy bird seed.
flying squirrel,lake arrowhead,
Woohoo!  This is what they actually look like.

Man, are they cute.   Like little chinchillas with wings.   They just kept flying over my head back and forth putting on quite the Cirque du Flying Squirrel production.   Just another reason why I love living in the mountains...

lake arrowhead realtor, lake arrowhead real estate


Please "like" my Lake Arrowhead Living Facebook page to follow all my mountain lake adventures.  If you're interested in learning more about the real estate opportunities up here send me an email at lassezfair@gmail.com  I'll be happy to show you around and I can even take you out on the lake kayaking!  

Sarah Lassez
Realtor® at Keller Williams Lake Arrowhead
CalBRE #02004414

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I did not think these squirrels exist in the US!

    ReplyDelete